Astronomy Courses & Education for first-timers.University Certificates
Single-module certificates for broader study and skills.Advanced Study
Routes to a full BSc(Hons) Degree in Astronomy.
Applications for new students for the 2013/14 academic year (start of courses: October 2013) are now open. The deadline for applications is 31 August 2013.
Applications received after this will be held over for courses starting October 2014.
The application process is online, following the procedure described below.
To start an application, click on the link 'Start an Online application' below and create a First Time User Account (this is just an account that allows you to create, edit and submit an online application).
Important points regarding the online application:
- select UG Distance Learning Courses from the drop-down box next to 'Application type'
- under planned course of study, select the code corresponding to the course eg:
for University Certificate in Astronomy: CERT/Astronomy Cert
for University Certificate in Cosmology: CERT/Cosmology Cert
for University Certificate in Astrobiology: CERT/Astrobiology Cert
- if you wish to study 2 University Certificates, you will need to put in 2 separate applications - we recommend that you copy and paste the information from the first application into a document and then paste it in the second application.
- even if you plan to later move on to advanced study, we ask you to start with University Certificates initially. It will be possible for you to transfer onto one of the advanced awards at a later stage and modules studied as University Certificates will be counted towards the advanced award. You do not need to supply an academic reference if you are applying for a University Certificate.
- Ignore the warning saying: "If you are a UK or EU resident applying for a full-time undergraduate course, then you must apply through UCAS and not on this form." since you are applying for a part-time course (not full-time)
Submit an online application here:
If you are currently enrolled on a UCLan Astronony programme you will not need to submit an online application. Towards the end of the current academic year we will contact you by email regarding your Progression and will ask you to inform us of which module you wish to study in the next academic year. This should significantly speed up the registration process. It is important that you reply to our progression email (or contact us if you do not receive one by mid July) by 1st August 2013.